ETHIOPIA Gatta Natural Anaerobic NAX (WBrC 6th place)EthiopiaGattaNAX100g €12,00
Finished and shipped from Sweden with standard or express shipment worldwide. Learn more about production cut-offs and shipping here
“A reminder of how Ethiopian natural processed coffees performed on the sensory scale back in 2010 with no 'aerobics' or 'acrobatics'.”
Founder, Coffea Circulor, Sweden
SCA SCORE 91.00
FLAVOR ALGORITHM AND DESIGN Ivica Cvetanovski
Roasted light based on conduction and moderate heat application with world class skill and care. Extensive roast, high front up heat that decreases and a ramp that leads into a humble crack. The florals and the rich acidity are generated immediately after the first crack.
PRACTICAL VISION AND RENDITION OF ROASTING DESIGN AT COFFEA CIRCULOR
There is one word in the Macedonian language (my origin is Macedonia, born and raised in Sweden), and that word is “sok”.
That word has no other reference or synonym in (at least) the English language what I know. It can be explained as:
“Remember when your Mom made juice from picked berries and fruits in the garden?”
That is “sok”, possibly something similar can be “natural, refreshing fruit juice” in the English language. This is what I am making with the coffees and wish that people experience it like so:
"The ideology in my roasting is to highlight natural flowers, fruits and berries while preserving important sweetness and integrating playful acidity creating long lasting memories."
The manifestation of Gatta NAX
Gatta NAX was used by Simen Andersen at the World Brewers Cup in Melbourne, Australia 2022, placing 6th.
|Aroma||Blueberry, Honey, Peach, Red grape|
|Flavor||Apricot, Mango, Red currant, Strawberry|
|Aftertaste||Milk chocolate, Peach, Tamarind, Mid|
|Acidity||Red grape, Tartaric, Lemon Citric, Mid|
|Body||Juicy, Light, Mid|
Home of some of the renowned and rewarded Ethiopian selections, Daye Bensa presents annual consistent harvests.
Gatta Farm has been named after a waterfall which crosses the farm and is landed on a total of 52 hectars. The location of the farm is in the midst of a 100-year-old natural forest. The first coffee trees were planted in 2013 and the drying station was built in 2017. Except for the very coffee trees, it houses a cupping lab, training center, guest residence and drying station.
Daye Bensa works with various communities of out-growers from whom they receive cherries and work with multiple washing stations in the Bensa Sidamo area. Impressive staggering elevations of up to 2,300 meters, the beans are very dense, with heavy concentrations of the smaller screen sizes (the majority of the coffee screen sizes at 13-14). This enable the beans to inhibit a vast amount of powerful characteristics which are released during roasting.
The Gatta NAX consists of hand picked ripe cherries which are floated in buckets upon reception. This procedure removes over-ripe and under-ripe cherries. The cherries are put into sealed fermentation tanks and are then moved to African raised beds to be dried for between 14 and 18 days. The cherries are locally hulled into unsorted beans, and then transported to Addis for final sorting at Daye Bensa's own dry-mill.
As each picked coffee cherry is destined for specific fermentation formulas, we denote each lot carrying the same name with a morpheme. Below is a listing of most common fermentation practices. Please use this reference to better understand the differences between equally named coffees and their fermentation formulas. For example, read a suffix of "NASDX" such as Natural Anaerobic Slow Drying Fermentation".
|RH, YH, WH, BH||Honey Fermentation|
Simen's preferred brewing method
Simen Andersen chose to use Gatta NAX with a formula tailored for Hario Switch Immersion with Sibarist FAST filters:
- Coffee: 16.5g
- Water: 250g @ 93°C, TDS: 78mg/l.
- Hario Switch
- Abaca filter
- Grinding/particle size 800-1,000μm
- 1 pour, fully immerse, pour in spiral motion to cover all coffee grounds,
- At 200g of water, pour more aggressively to agitate
- Finalize with a roundabout to ensure all grounds are covered by the water
- Rest for 3 minutes to ensure consistency and full saturation is uphold,
- Tap the brewer gently 3 times before releasing the valve at 03:10.
- The contents will drain through the filter to provide clarity,
- Rest in decanter for 1 minute, evaluate the aromatics,
- Served in a dedicated cup co-developed by Ment in Norway.
Our World Brewers Cup recipe, One (1:1:1), for Hario V60-01/02 with Hario VCF-01/02 filters:
- Rinse the VCF-filter with 93°C water. Rinse the carafe/server with hot water to expel any unwanted aromatics and flavors from the rinsed filter.
- Coffee: 20g.
- Water: 300g @ 93-95°C, TDS: 10-50 mg/l.
- 100g of 20 second pours in 3 total pours at 0:00, 1:00 and last pour at 2:00. Finish at 3:00.
- Pour by pulsing in helix formation during 20 seconds, starting from the centre, 5 revolutions per pulse. Ensure no grinds persist on the filter wall in the last pouring pulse.
- At 01:00, 02:00 and 03:00, confirm the filter bed is flat and uniform. Avoid generating cavities and craters.
- Target a TDS reading of 1.40±0.02.
- Adjust only grind size and water temperature.
- Grinding: Target 600-800μm. Example: 28 turns from the finest setting on Comandante.
- If the flow ends past each minute, adjust your grind settings to finer and respectively for slower flow.
- The recipe, technique and formula is singularly linear and time efficient. Learn more about linearly up- and downscaling our recipe here.
Use water with balanced mineral content to optimize flavor and character. Keep Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) between 10-50 ppm or mg/l. We advise a temperature between 93-95°C for the best brewing experience.
Please store in a cool and dry place in order to secure freshness and quality. To ensure best possible experience use within 3 months after roast date and 2 weeks after opening. In various environments and setups, your brewing experience can benefit from opening the bag and closing it. Wait one day to brew. We have invested significant time to research the durability of the coffee by actively refining our roasting algorithms to ensure perpetual quality post 3 months of production. Our flavor-lock packaging technology is based on processing and roasting. This ensures persisting and stable aromas, flavors and pro-experience.
Start using at will. Brew immediately or wait several weeks. Prepare for a championship with a strategy. It all depends on your goals.
We recommend using the coffees by first opening the container/bag one day before the first planned brew to enable a natural aeration of the coffees. Use according to the following matrix and remember these are general observations given parameters such as continent, country, region, variety, altitude, process, etc. combined with Coffea Circulor processing and roasting algorithms.
Plan your acquisition according to production schedules (roasting), event attendance (home/championship) and shipping priority (standard/courier).
|0-3 days||Focused acidity|
|4-7 days||Optimal Coffea Circulor recommended praxis|
|8-14 days||Increased floral perception|
|15-21 days||Increased sweetness|
|22+ days||Increased balance|
|1+ month||Intact sweetness, peak intensity|
|2+ months||Inherent balance, possible reduced florals turning herbal|
Made by Ethiopia
Finished in Scandinavia